Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bullet-Ant Glove video; Tribal theme

The bullet-any glove episode aired on the National Geographic channel last night, though I had seen it before. This reminded me of the time I volunteered for a research experiment for extra-credit at my university. I had to submerge my hand in a bucket of ice water until I could no longer tolerate the pain or until time was up, which I learned was just over 5 minutes because I kept my hand in until time was called. After the first half-minute my hand tingled then at about a minute it began to feel warm and then became numb. After this, the tingling turned to a stinging/burning feeling, but I ignored the pain (knowing that pain toleration was likely the basis of the research) until I was told to remove my hand. At this point, my hand felt like it had been stung my dozens of bees or ants and fortunatley I was given a warming glove to warm my hand.

The participants in this tribe are going to experience something much more painful than prolonged exposure to ice water, though don't always show their pain, as you'll see. Also, in my novel, there's a tribal theme where one of the characters was branded with an authentic tribal tattoo from South America. To find out which character, visit my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment